Online Nslookup Tool
About Online Nslookup Tool
Nslookup is a great tool to view DNS information on public hosts names or internet IP addresses using your web browser. Just enter your destination domain name or IP address, optionally choose DNS Server and optionally choose type of DNS lookup and click Submit. The system with perform nslookup with your parameters and display result.
Types of DNS Lookup
Varios DNS lookup types are discribed here :
- A (address) Record. This default lookup returns a 32-bit IPv4 address of the domain
- AAAA (IPv6 address) Record. This lookup will return a 128-bit IPv6 address of the domain
- CNAME (Canonical Name). This lookup returns alias of one name to another name (not an IP address)
- MX (Mail Exchange) Record. Returns a list of message transfer agents for your domain
- NS (Name Server) Record. Returns authoritative name servers for the given domain
- SOA (Start Of Authority) Record. Specifies authoritative information about a DNS zone, including the primary name server, the email of the domain administrator, the domain serial number, and several timers relating to refreshing the zone.
- SRV (Service Locator). Generalized service location record, used for newer protocols instead of creating protocol-specific records such as MX
- TXT (Text Record). Originally for arbitrary human-readable text in a DNS record. Sometimes used for DKIM, DMARC, SFP and other records
More information on DNS Resource Record Types is available here
Why do I need Online DNS Lookup
Many companies use their own DNS services. If you company has internal DNS and external DNS services you may need to compare how your own DNS servers resolve queries from outside vs. how they are resolved from inside. In this case an external nslookup tool may come in very handy. Another example is companies sometimes block DNS queries of external servers and force all users to make DNS queries only using company's internal DNS infrastructure. This is also a good case for using an external DNS lookup tool. Some people are more used to working with web pages and web form and prefer not to use command prompt. Or a command prompt may be blocked on their computers. These are all good cases when Intecca online DNS tools can be useful.